Trains and Railways in the Algarve
Route maps and booking information for the national rail service, regional trains and the urban train network: to help you find your way around the Algarve...
- CP (Comboios de Portugal) is the Portuguese national rail service. A limited English-language website lists prices, timetable and online trip-planning: CP in English
- InterRail is an international rail travel service around Europe, Morroco and Turkey.
Portuguese Trains: Useful Information
|CP Station Finder||Website|
|CP Information and Reservations||Tel: 808 208 208|
|CP booking service (in English)||Website|
|CP network map||Website|
Trains in the Algarve Region
CP provides the Alfa Pendular, Regional, Intercidades and Intra_Rail train services to the Algarve region.
At: Calçada do Duque 20, 1249-109 Lisbon
Tel: 211 023 000
Tel (Call centre) : 808 208 208 (national calls)
Fax: 213 473 093
- The Alfa Pendular service connects Braga, Porto, Coimbra, Lisbon and Faro.
- For timetable and pricing information: Click here
- The Intercidades service travels through Guimarães, Porto, Guarda, Coimbra, Covilhã, Lisbon, Évora, Beja and Faro.
- For timetables and price information: Click here
- The Regional service links the Portuguese regions together. Trains run between Valença, Vila Real, Braga, Porto, Mirandela, Pocinho, Régua, Guarda, Covilhã, Coimbra, Leiria, Marvão-Beirã, Elvas, Lisbon, Evora, Beja, V.R. S.Ant, Faro and Lagos.
- For timetables and prices: Click here
- IntraRail cards are valid for three or ten days and allow passengers between 12 and 30 years of age to travel within four pre-defined areas of Portugal. Cards are sold in some CP stations, Youth Hostels, Movijovem shops and Ponto JA shops. There are two types of IntraRail cards:
- IntraRail xcape card is valid for three days in one of the four pre-defined zones and gives free travel on Intercidades (second class), Regional, Inter-Regional and Urban trains from Friday to Sunday, plus two nights' stay (Friday and Saturday) in shared or double rooms at youth hostel
- IntraRail xplore is valid for ten days in two adjoining zones, and gives free travel on Intercidades (second class), Regional, Inter-Regional and Urban trains (journeys starting between Monday and Thursday), plus nine nights' accommodation in shared or double rooms at youth hostels
- Passengers with a Youth Card will be granted a discount on IntraRail cards
- For a list of points of sale: Click here
Reduced Mobility Passengers
In order to accommodate passengers with reduced mobility, Alfa Pendular trains have access lifts to raise and lower wheelchairs, two reserved places and specially equipped toilets.
Many stations have a large step between train and platform making access difficult for wheelchairs users.
The SIM (Integrated Mobility Service) provides information about CP train and station accessibility, special rates, access equipment, services and assistance.
- SIM Tel: 808 208 746 (open weekdays 07:00-18:00)
Animals on Trains
There are regulations for animals travelling on trains in Portugal.
- Assistance guide dogs may travel free
- Animals in carriers may travel for free, but may not take up a seat
- A half-price ticket is required for animals not in a carrier container
- An animal must not cause inconvenience to the other passengers and must be in a carrier or muzzled and on a lead
- Animals are not allowed on the seats
Bicycles on Trains
Bicycles may be taken on certain Regional, Interregional and Coimbra trains subject to certain conditions. They may be carried for free at weekend and public holidays. If the train is full, it is not always possible to travel with a bicycle. Only 2 bicycles per carriage are allowed. It is recommended that passengers ask the ticket inspector whether a bicycle ticket is allowed.
Guaranteed weekly transport, removals to - from UK. Packing materials, full packing service.... Read more...
Association of professional experts dedicated to best practice in energy efficient products and... Read more...
Click on the website link for a free quote for worldwide health cover for you and your family:... Read more...