Bus Services in the Algarve
Details and contact information on the regional and city bus transport system...
There are three main companies that provide bus transportation around the Algarve. They are EVA Transportes, Rede Nacional de Expressos and Renex.
EVA Transportes provides bus travel around the Algarve and also between the Algarve and other regions in Portugal.
The company covers several routes including:
- Expresso Qualidade with stops at Lisbon, Mte Mor o Novo, Évora, Lagos, Portimão, Albufeira, Faro, Tavira and V.R.S. António
- Transrápido from Lagos to Faro via Portimão and Albufeira
- Linha Litoral (coast Line) running between Lagos, Portimão and Albufeira
- Rota do Infante from Cabo S. Vicente via Lagos to Portimão
- Rota Ria Formosa between Faro, Olhão, Tavira and V.R.S. António
- Lagos Sevilha from Lagos to Sevilha via Portimão, Albufeira, Faro, Olhão, Tavira, V.R.S. António, Ayamonte and Huelva
- Regular Routes inter-urban routes between Aljezur, Lagos, Portimão, Albufeira, Faro, Tavira, V.R.S. António and Loulé
- Urban Routes around Lagos and Faro
A branch of EVA Transportes, Frota Azul Algarve serves the cities of Albufeira, Lagoa, Lagos, Portimão and Silves.
- For addresses and contact details of EVA bus stations: Click here
- A tourist pass (passe turístico) guarantees unlimited journeys on EVA Transportes and Frota Azul-Algarve buses for three days
- Passengers with a student card (cartão estudante) or a youth card (cartão jovem) are also entitled to discounts on tickets
- Tickets may be purchased at most bus stops
Rede Nacional de Expressos
Rede Nacional de Expressos provides public transport between the main towns and cities in north and south Portugal.
- Rede Expressos (in Portuguese)
At: Praça Marechal Humberto Delgado, Rua das Laranjeiras, 1500-543 Lisbon
Tel: 213 581 460
Tickets may be purchased online or in person at one of the ticketing offices.
- For ticket offices: Click here (select a Postos de Venda from the list and select the city)
- Children under the age of 4 years travel for free when accompanied by an adult. Children between 4 and 12 years of age pay half the standard fare
Renex was founded in 1990 when three public transport companies were amalgamated. Their buses operate within and link Braga, Porto, Lisbon and the Algarve.
- Renex Albufeira
Tel: 289 589 603
- Renex Algarve Area
Tel: 800 224 220 (toll-free number)
- To view a route map: Click here (in Portuguese)
- For timetable and route information: Click here (in Portuguese)
The company also organises special bus services for concerts and festivals.
Tickets may be purchased at several ticket points in the Algarve. Discounts are granted to students, youth card holders, army employees, authorities and pensioners.
- For ticket points: Click here
Giro is a city bus that travels around Albufeira. It has five lines (Green, Blue, Orange, Red 1 and Red 2). Tickets may be purchased on the bus or in shops. Senior, student and tourist tickets are available. Giro departs from the Calicos bus terminal every 30 minutes from 07:00-22:00 October to May and 07:00-midnight June to September.